Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Lows of Life

Today when I was on Facebook I noticed that Rick's status said "dealing with the lows of life." It made me sad. But it also reminded me that we are both feeling pretty low right now. So many things seem to be going wrong for us right now. It just feels like we can't catch our breath. Almost like we're drowning. The ship is sinking with us on board.

One of the biggest lows Rick is dealing with is his work schedule. He really hates the shift changes he is dealing with at work. It is especially frustrating for me to watch him struggle due to all the crazy different hours he has been working. This past weekend was really rough on him. He had to work at noon one day and then turn around with less than a day in between and work at midnight. That caused him to spend all day on Halloween suffering with a terrible headache. He hardly got any sleep, I am talking like maybe 2 hours. It would be hard for a healthy person to work like that, but for someone that is not healthy it is unbearable. My PSC peeps understand the fatigue that comes with having PSC. So to already deal with that type of fatigue and then add in ridiculous shift changes is very hard on the body.

And then today he was told that the store manager likes having him at the store in the evenings and wants to keep him on this crazy @$$ schedule. (sorry for the language, I am just really pissed) That is NOT fair. The manager said he wants the new person to work Rick's shift and keep Rick with the screwed up shifts. Rick has worked there for 16 years and now is being treated terribly. For someone who said that they want what's best for Rick they sure are screwing him over. So the lesson here would be that working hard only gets you screwed with!

I just want to runaway, but I know that won't help. But I just need a break. I have been trying to hand all this over to God but I am not good at that. It has just been such a hard year. I feel broken somehow. Like I am not the same person anymore. I just don't care as much about some things anymore. I really don't care if my house is organized. I really don't care if everything is picked up and put away. I just really don't feel like the same person. And it makes it worse when those little things are pointed out to me. Like I don't know that things in my house aren't the same. Like things in my life aren't the same. They're not. And now I have to learn how to embrace the new me. I shouldn't feel guilty for not wanting to go back to the old me. And for those people that don't accept this as me now, well then they just don't have any idea what this last year has done to me.

I really do want to feel happy again. But this time of year is really hard to deal with when I don't have the finances to enjoy it. I look at my girls and feel sad that I can't do the things with them that they want to do. I do hope that they know how very much I love them. And how sorry I am that they don't get to do all things they want to do.

Oh goodness, I am really pathetic. Sorry.

Jaime

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

*hugs* sorry life is getting the best of you. It will get better.
-- Stephanie from Dallas

Kate said...

I was blog hopping this morning (and ignoring my housework) and came across yours and wanted to say hello.

As I just came across your blog I don't know what your year has looked like, but your exhaustion comes through. I am sorry for whatever has happened to bring you to this point.

I could bore you with my life experiences but that wouldn't help. Just know that you are stronger than any circumstance that is thrown your way. Money or no money - your kids love you.

Give all your fears and worries to God and pray that He will help you to leave them all with Him.

Be strong, sweet sister, and know that I am praying for you today.

heather said...

hey jaime! you know I'm so sorry you guys are going through this. And I know it's been an incredibly tiring and challenging year for you both. I want to encourage you but I'm afraid my words could come across wrong. I will take a chance and quote something straight from God's word and hopefully His words will be more of an encouragement then mine.
James 1:2-4 'Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.'

and my favorite: James 1:12 'Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him.'

God never said He wouldn't give us more than we can handle, because if He did why would we need Him? He's put a lot on your plates so you depend on HIM to get through it. Every morning, every night every struggling minute needs to be given over to HIM. He has a plan for all of this...it might not have anything to do with you or Rick, but it could have an impact on someone else's life by how you handle yours.

I hope you are encouraged today by even the smallest blessings in your life. You can get through this, I know you can, because God is your lifeline!

With Love - your sister in Christ and fellow Chronie, Heather :)

Tracy said...

Hi Jamie. I'm sorry you are feeling so low lately. I feel like I know you through your blog, and it makes me sad to see you down. I can see that it might be hard some days, so thank you for continuing to write, you are truly gifted!

Please know this..... What you have been through during the past 1-2 years is so large in scale that it is well beyond what most people will ever have to go through during their entire life. What you are dealing with right now is way more than any human should have to endure- ever! The 'stuff' that comes along with dealing with health issues can really zap energy like crazy, and not just for those of us who are sick. I know it's sometimes easier said than done, but please remember to be kind to yourself. You are such a sweetheart and I have a feeling you are busy taking care of everyone else but forgetting about yourself. I think our souls are pretty resilient for the most part just please don't underestimate what you are going through!
You are in my prayers- big time!

Tracy
(from Chicago)