Tuesday, February 10, 2009

9 out of 10

When I normally ask Rick how he is feeling he usually says something like "alright" or "fine" but these past few days I know he has not been "alright or fine." I found out that his Crohn's is acting up a little bit. And at the doctor's office yesterday when the doctor pressed on his right side it hurt. So I am guessing that the liver is not a happy camper right now. I could tell that today his back was really bothering him. I asked him on a scale of 1 to 10 what his pain was today. He said in the mid 9's. For someone who normally says he is "alright" I know he must really be in pain. I don't know what to do. So I think I am just going to wait it out.

We have been contacted by the coordinator for a different surgeon. Rick went over all his problems and she is going to discuss it with the surgeon and then get back to us. I don't know if I should contact them to let them know how bad his pain is getting or if I should just wait til they call back. I don't want to seem too anxious about all of this, but I am.

What we found comforting and interesting was how concerned and "on top" of things the rheumatologist was yesterday. He was very concerned when he found out that Rick is actually doing worse. Apparently the back is so bad on his body that it is causing the joint disease to flare up and is probably the reason for the flare in the Crohn's as well. It could possibly have something to do with the PSC acting up as well. But that is not for certain. The doctor had originally, back in November, said not to have surgery. But now he is saying that Rick definitely needs surgery because this is affecting his other disease processes that can be life threatening. He also gave us some good advice on what kind of surgery options to choose from.

I am reeling at this point. It has been a long 3 months since Rick's back pain started. And a really long past 12 months. To think about how much he is suffering with now is heartbreaking. I just can't believe all of this is happening to him. I just have to pray and believe that God has a hand in this and will be there for us. I just don't know how much more I can take. I don't know how much more Rick can take. He is so strong, but I know there is a breaking point. He is so amazing; still working and teaching. Most people have no idea how much pain he is in because he can just push through the pain and go on with his day. If only they knew the truth. If only.

I would really appreciate prayers for Rick. He really needs a break. His body really needs a break. I am really worried about his health right now. We also need prayers that this surgeon will realize how badly Rick needs this surgery and will operate ASAP.

Until next time,
Jaime

No comments: