Tuesday, February 24, 2009

ERCP

Rick will be having an ERCP tomorrow (wednesday) afternoon. He has to check in at the hospital at 2:30 for a 4:00 procedure. It should take about 90 minutes, after which he will need to be in recovery for another 90 minutes. However, the outpatient unit closes at 6:00 so he will be recovering in a room in the hospital instead. Last time he had an ERCP at this hospital he was kicked out VERY quickly so I asked about that and was told by the fabulous nurse that that would NOT happen this time. She said he will be monitored for at least 90 minutes, but because it is so late in the day and he will be on the "floor" so he won't be hurried out. So hopefully this time will go much smoother.

The phone call from the nurse yesterday was to pre-register over the phone. It is a new procedure the hospital started to cut down on paperwork during admitting. And they let me be the one to answer the questions. The nurse was impressed by how much I knew. She was wonderful and was amazed at all Rick is going through right now. It always puts things in perspective when an actual member of the medical field is amazed at everything he has going on.

I always get nervous before big procedures like this. I know they are "routine" but somehow it never gets routine to have my husband going through these kind of tests. I am kinda glad I have to work in the morning because it will keep my mind off of what will happen later in the afternoon.

I will update Twitter throughout the afternoon and evening. You can check in for updates on how he his doing and if I am hanging in there as well.

Until next time,
Jaime

5 comments:

JackieThomposn said...

Thank goodness you updated this... I have been checking all day on here... I feel asleep, but when I woke up first thing I did was check on here. I like the pre=register thing... I did that, and it was great! Only five pages instead of 10... LOL Well Thanks for the email with your benifit tuff on it, I passed it on to EVERYONE! I am sure it will be great, because lets face it... YALL ARE GREAT!
Until your next entry...
Jackie :)

Dawn said...

Jaime -- Just checked in and read your twitter update. Carl and I will pray right now. Hang in there.

Lots of love to you guys,
Dawn

Dawn said...

Hi Jaime,
I'm checking your twitter updates and praying for Rick nonstop. Call me anytime!!! We're here for you.

-D&C

Blonde Momma said...

Glad to see he can starting eating....don't forget to take care of yourself.

Unknown said...

I found you a few weeks back on Facebook Networked Blogs, where I have joined your blog to follow. I wanted to let you know that today, I have finished reading your entire blog. What an inspiration you and your family are. As such, I have added you to the Blogroll on my own IBD site, as I too, am dealing with Crohn's Disease.

You are an amazing woman; Rick is very lucky to have you in his life, holding his hand through his trials.

You can view your link on my site here: www.LifeAfterCrohns.com