Sunday, March 22, 2009

Exceptional

Exceptional- beyond what is ordinary or usual; highly unusual or exceptional or remarkable; well above average; extraordinary.

I have been wanting to write this post but I have had trouble coming up with the best words. I have always thought that Rick was strong, but the surgeon (Dr. S) caught me a little off guard with his words regarding Rick the day after surgery.

Dr. S has a personal experience with crohn's disease. He has crohn's and has been to The Mayo Clinic for treatment of his crohn's. Dr. S said that Rick is exceptional. I, of course, think that myself. But it was so amazing to hear the surgeon talk about my husband that way. He said that a lot of people in Rick's situation would just give up. That they would be living under a bridge somewhere wallowing in self pity. But Rick's ability to fight everything that has happened to him is exceptional. He continues to work very hard to provide for our family. He doesn't complain, he does what needs to be done. He takes his handful of pills every four hours without complaint. He goes through numerous procedures, sometimes with very painful side effects (remember pancreatitis?!?!). And I never hear him complain. He endures major surgery that will be life changing and doesn't even fret about it. I really do agree with Dr. S, Rick is exceptional.

Dr. S went on to talk about how our daughters are very lucky to have Rick as their role model. They have someone to look up to that works hard no matter what. That doesn't give up. Of course they are too young to understand this now, but they see it everyday and it will rub off on them. In time they will understand and appreciate their Daddy even more. It was very touching to hear those words spoken about my husband.

How amazing is it to have a surgeon that thinks so highly of his patient. Dr. S said that the main reason he agreed to do the surgery was because he knew how hard Rick would work on his physical therapy. He knew Rick would follow the rules and do exactly what needs to be done. And the physical therapist that worked with him at the hospital agreed. He called Rick a model patient. I am just so proud of him.

I do think that being exceptional also makes him bored. He isn't used to just taking it easy and doing nothing so he is very bored. I have to remind him that taking it easy and resting is how the body heals. He knows, and he has been following the rules. But nevertheless, he is bored.

I am so lucky to have Rick in my life. Of course this isn't what I had imagined our life to be, but I wouldn't change a thing because I don't think we would have ever been this close otherwise. We have a very special bond that is formed from fighting this together. Not separately, but together.

Until next time,
Jaime

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have to agree with Dr. S and say that I have thought of Rick as a very strong and exceptional person! I have never heard him complain...not once. I think most people in his situation would complain, I know I would. And no, I don't think the girls are too young to realize how special their dad is. Rick has proven himself again and again.....each time showing them that he is strong and they can count on him. He is a role model for us all. And as for you, as I have told you....you are the toughest girl I know. You too are a huge role model for the girls in showing them how to be strong for the people you love, you've taught them how to be a loyal wife, a good friend, and a brave fighter. God has given all of you so much strength. The hard times are really what brings us together and make us better people.
xoxoxoxoxojenna