Monday, March 2, 2009

Feeling Better

Rick is starting to feel better. Not good, but better. He is still having pain in his abdomen, and now his back is really starting to hurt from being in bed. But he can finally have solid food, although it is very low fat for now. The doc said that if it tastes good don't eat it. Meaning it has to be bland and boring for a while. We don't want the pancreas over stimulated and have it get sick again. His bloodwork is finally going in the right direction. The Lipase is the factor that shows how the pancreas is functioning. A normal person's Lipase should be 78, at one point Rick's was 5,600. His bilirubin had also gotten pretty high and his eyes were turning very yellow, along with his skin. That has gone down too.

So it looks like Rick is on the path to going home. He will eat another meal tonight and tomorrow morning and then probably head home. Yippee!!!!!

So much has happened since last wednesday. I don't know what to blog and what not to blog. Like today he had his fourth IV started. He was poked by needles more than 30 times because his veins are reacting to how sick he is and they have gotten small and don't want to be messed with. He also was running fevers and would keep getting so chilled that his entire body would just shake. So many little things and so many big things have happened. I have never been so scared in my life. Quite honestly, at one point I thought he might be dying. And I think maybe the ER staff may have wondered that as well. I will never go in to another procedure thinking that it is just routine. I will never be comfortable having Rick go through an ERCP again.

I have only left his side to go home and take a shower, or go to the cafeteria for food. I have slept in a recliner every night. Right beside his bed. I love him so much and I just couldn't leave him. I just couldn't.

I have a couple pictures to post when we get home. But only a couple. I didn't really take many because he looked so bad. But I wanted to get a couple to document his very first inpatient stay at a hospital.

Keep checking my Twitters and I will blog again when we are home.

Until next time,
Jaime

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to read that Rick IS FEELING BETTER! I feel so badly for him, as I too, have been where he is. I know what a toll it takes being in the hospital. I came out of it thinking, "If you are sick, the last place you ever want to be in the hospital. You cannot get any rest or peace there."

Please let him know that there are people out here thinking of him ad praying for his safe and speedy recovery!

Bless you for being his guardian angel :)

JackieThomposn said...

Love the pictures... I am happy Rick is feeling better today... I am keeping my fingers crossed for him... :)

Dawn said...

I just read your latest twitter! What great news!!! You've had a long, rough week. Getting home will be sooo nice.

Laney said...

I've been reading your blog for a bit now, as my husband has PSC and cirrhosis. We are in our mid 20's and it sometimes seems so unreal.

Brendan has gotten bad bouts of pancreatitis every time he's had an ERCP. I am with you, I was so scared the last time at the ER. The hospital sent us home after the procedure and then he started throwing up blood and such. It was the scariest thing we've been through so far.

I am SO SO SO glad that Rick is feeling better and will be coming home! I'm always remembering your family in my prayers.