Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Bees, I hate bees!!

So a few days ago Rick had a friend come over so he could help him out with his car. While Rick was showing Mike around the backyard Mike discovered a VERY BIG hornets nest in the tree in our backyard. I don't have the slightest idea how we never noticed a basketball sized nest hanging in our tree. I mean I don't think we have been distracted by anything this summer to have not noticed. Just think of how much time we have spent lounging around, not doing anything, minds free from worry and stress.

We decided to take on the bees last night. Rick hates bees. I hate bees. The kids are afraid of bees. And I am having my sister's baby shower in the backyard underneath that tree on friday. There is no way that thing can stay there any longer. The possibility of the kids getting hurt if something were to disturb the bees is reason enough to get that thing out of here.

So Rick gets out the ladder and I man the flashlight. Come to find out later that the last thing we should have done was shine the light directly on the hive. But anyway, Rick climbs the ladder, and after having to move it around to get a clear shot, he fires away with two cans of bee spray. Then we notice that the bees are moving around a bit so we run for our lives and head straight into the house. A few minutes later I am standing at the door that we just ran through and I notice that I can really smell the bee spray. Suddenly I notice a couple of the bees climbing on the screen door. They found us!!! They know where we live and they are coming after us!!! Holy Crap!!! Did I mention how much I hate bees?!?!?!

The girls are definitely not allowed in the backyard until we see how the bees are reacting to their new poisonous hive. And if we have to hose them down again tonight then we will just have to get a little bit taller ladder so we can get a bit closer and I won't shine the light directly on the hive. And then what are we going to do with the hive? I don't want to leave it there but I don't want Rick getting too close to it just in case there are some lurkers. Yeah it is a cool hive but there is no way I am keeping that thing. The thought of it sends a shiver down my spine.

I don't have a picture of it, otherwise I would post it. If I get a chance to get a picture I will post here later. In the mean time, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Did I mention that I hate bees!?!?!?!?!?!

Until next time,
Jaime

1 comment:

heather said...

you are in luck! my husband works for rescue...the makers of the best yellow jacket/wasp trap ever! I can get a few for you...let's try to arrange a time for me to get them to you! just remember to hang them AWAY from the area you want to sit...if you're bbqing, don't hang one by your bbq otherwise you will be swarmed with them. The typical place is on a fence...i hate bees too, but these traps work so I'm not bothered by them anymore! (nice plug for Rescue, huh?) : )

www.rescue.com