Monday, December 1, 2008

I am on the verge, seriously

I am typing this tonight through glasses with tear spots. I am so seriously on the verge of a nervous breakdown. And for those of you out there thinking I am going crazy, please don't stop me. Crazy might be better than this.

Since I shouldn't keep you in suspense any longer I will tell you what happened. We got the results from Rick's MRI today. It appears that the bulging disc is fairly severe. The nurse asked if Rick had short term disability insurance. Which of course we don't because why would we have bought that when he was healthy? And who would have thought 5 years ago that would be something Rick might need someday? Obviously not us.

Rick should not be working. Unfortunately that is really not an option at this point. I mean, how in the world would we make our mortgage payment? Feed the kids? Pay the internet bill? It is all just so stressful.

To get back on track now. The nurse said she couldn't believe that she was looking at the MRI of a 32 year old male. She said his MRI was really bad. Apparently the doctor has decided to skip all the options and go straight to the epidural steroid injection. We should be getting a phone call in the morning to schedule that procedure. Rick is hesitant about it. And we have an appointment with his doctor on friday to talk about all of this. Rick is wondering if surgery is the better way to go since that would be a one time fix, where as the steroid injection is just a temporary fix.

Since his job is so labor intensive it is making it very dangerous for him. The nurse said if he isn't careful he could cause himself to not be able to walk. The disc is bulging so bad that it is not only pressing on the nerves on the left side but it is also starting to push on the right side as well. I knew that all of this was not good, but I never would have imagined it was this serious. And the amazing thing is how little pain Rick seems to feel. He should be in excruciating pain and he claims that it is not that bad. Of course he does sleep on a heating pad.

This all most likely is caused by all the health issues he already has. Probably a combination of the medications and the arthritis. The crohn's can have some weird side effects. And past steroid use for the control of the crohn's. I don't know.

I guess right now we are weighing our options. I am going to look into social security disability. Maybe Rick will take his sick leave and some vacation time. He is going to have to stop his second job all together which is going to cut out a big chunk of income. I just don't know what we are going to do.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. I am a little scattered tonight and I feel I probably left some stuff out. I just can't think straight tonight.

Until next time,
Jaime

6 comments:

heather said...

Jamie, I'm sorry to hear this...please remember that God will provide. Someone once asked me 'has God provided for you in the past? well He'll do it again.'
whether it be with insurance, or whatever, He will provide. God is good ALL the time...even in times of trials.

A verse comes to mind: 'dear brothers & sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.' James 1:2-4

I'll be praying for you & Rick...

Susan said...

Hi Kids,
Well, what a fine turn of events. :(
I will keep praying and Rick, slow down!!! We need you!! And to my very worried daughter, take a deep breath and remember that you both are loved!!
Love, Mom

Blonde Momma said...

Jamie, I can't think of anyting great and profound to say....something will work out. This is just another bump in the road...I know that's hard to hear right now. Call me.

Dawn said...

Jaimie -- This does not seem fair at all. You two are already dealing with so much. :(

I second what Heather said -- God is good all the time. He'll carry you through this.

Big hugs being sent your way ...
-Dawn

Connie said...

Dear Jaime,

Oh my gosh! I usually check your blog every night, but this morning I was so surprised to see your post from Monday, and wondered how I missed checking in on you Monday & Tuesday nights, and missed this very disturbing news. I'm so sorry Rick's condition has taken this terrible turn. I know it is very scary medically and financially. Rick is amazing! He is so strong mentally, and you are too. Somehow it will all work out. We'll keep sending positive thoughts your way, and praying for a positive outcome medically and financially. We love you all!

And thanks for putting Amanda's angel ornament front and center on your tree - that gave me tingles up my spine and a warm blast to my heart!

Love,
Connie, Bill and ^Angel Amanda^

JackieThomposn said...

Hang in there... I keep trying to post on here, but it tells me that I don't have an account... ANYWAY...

You always hear that God won't give you anything you can't handle, but I would have to say that your family has had their fill. I am sorry to hear that Rick has yet another set back... Just try and hang in there. Know that you have many friend out there that love you all!!!

Love you...

~Jackie~