Monday, April 6, 2009

I am hurtin tonight

I was so nervous for today's procedure. I have never had anything like that done to me before. So when I was checking in my hands were shaking. I had to sign my name and I could barely hold the pen. The thing I really don't like about this practice is that they take HIPAA to the extreme. Rick wasn't allowed to come back with me at all. I wanted him there to hold my hand when I was getting my IV, but he was not allowed back. I had to sit back there all alone for an hour before the procedure. I think that is ridiculous! Patients should have a say in who is allowed to come back with them. I am always with Rick before a procedure. Granted sometimes they make me wait until he is settled, but at least I get to come back and sit with him. That just made things even harder for me. You should have seen my blood pressure and heart rate. Wow!!

When I got wheeled into the endoscopy suite my heart rate was even higher. They put monitors on me and oxygen. The doctor came in and talked to me. He was nice. Then he sprayed this NASTY stuff in my mouth to numb my throat. OMG, it was so gross!!! And my tongue and throat were so numb I could hardly tell if I was breathing, let alone swallow. The nurse put the medication in my IV and that is all I remember. I woke up as they were putting me back in recovery. My throat hurt and I was thirsty. And I really wanted Rick. But he was still not allowed to come back and sit with me. Can you believe that?!?!

They don't give you anytime to wake up and recover either. I kept getting set up higher in bed. I had to ask them to stop because I was so dizzy. And then I still had to sit there all alone. I kept asking for my husband, and they kept saying no because of HIPAA. That is so beyond ridiculous. I was told to get up and use the bathroom, but I could hardly walk. And nobody helped me; if Rick was there he could have helped me.

They had me get dressed, all by myself. And then they finally brought Rick back while they explained what the doctor found. I have never been so happy to see him. Except of course after his procedures.

So the results are....... We still don't know. I don't have an ulcer, or GERD. The doctor thinks I have something called NERD. Which I don't really understand just yet. What we were told, but I don't remember, is that it is a neurological type of reflux that is caused by my stomach not emptying fast enough. So I have to have a gastric emptying scan done on wednesday. It is a nuclear scan that watches how fast/slow my stomach empties the food. It will take at least 2 hours. And it is done within the same practice, just a different facility, so Rick won't be allowed to be with me AGAIN. He is still coming, and maybe we can convince them to let him sit with me. But I am not getting my hopes up.

I guess I don't really have a lot of answers for you tonight. I am hurting pretty bad from the air that is trapped in my stomach from the procedure. For some reason it feels like it has gotten trapped under my ribs and it hurts really bad!! I am sitting with a heating pad on my stomach to try and help relieve the pain. I also have a pretty sore throat from the scope. All in all, I feel really crappy.

I have a new appreciation for what Rick has to go through. He says this is the easiest of the procedures he has to go through. If this is the easiest I feel really bad for him!! This is no fun at all! Maybe I am just a baby.

Until next time,
Jaime

1 comment:

JackieThomposn said...

You know I am the queen of having air trapped in my stomach!!! LOL I always sat in a really warm bath, and just did a lot of breathing real relaxed breaths, and poof... I burped... LOL I just wanted to try and make you laugh. I am so sorry about the HIPPA thing... That practice is suppose to protect patients, but it just seems like it makes it worse for them. I am pretty surprised they wouldn't let him come back there after you asked for him... geeze... It isn't like you are trying to keep the results or what is going on with you... Well I hope today you are feeling better... It is 6am there, i hope you are still sleeping...