Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy

Big word for tiny incisions. And no matter how tiny the incisions they still hurt!! I feel like a total baby complaining when I live with Super Man. But everyone deals with pain differently and I don't do so well with pain. I have four incisions in my belly. And they are only held together by steri strips. I am a little worried about how they will hold up, especially the one in my belly button.

I am not sure if you all want a play by play but I will give it to you anyway. So here goes my play by play of my surgery.

We arrived at the outpatient clinic at 11 a.m. and I was taken back to get prepared for surgery. Rick waited for me in the waiting room for a while but I asked to have him come hold my hand while I was getting my IV and the nurse was kind enough to oblige me. The IV had to go into my forearm which really hurt but she got it in one poke which was fantastic! I had to have an antibiotic running because of the proximity to the bile ducts and the chance of infection. I also had to have a shot of heparin because I would be laying flat for a few hours and they wanted to prevent blood clots. I have never had heparin before and that little shot left a huge bruise.

My Mom arrived shortly after that and she sat back with us while I waited. The anesthesiologist came and talked to me about being intubated and I let her know how sick I get with anesthesia. She was very good and set up a great cocktail of anti-nausea drugs for me. It wasn't long after that and it was time to go. I got a shot of versed, a very good relaxing drug, and kissed Rick and my Mom goodbye. I was a little worried because of the run of bad luck we have had recently, but it all went fine.

I stayed awake during the ride to the operating room and was awake while they set everything up. Then they put the mask on my face to breath the sleepy medicine and I drifted off to sleep. The nurse that was taking care of me in the operating room was very sweet and kept rubbing my shoulder or feet as she worked around me. It was very comforting and I really appreciated her kindness.

The surgery lasted about an hour. I do remember a little from the operating room unfortunately. I woke up afterwards while still intubated and in the operating room. I remember looking at the clock and seeing that it was 1:15 and feeling like I couldn't breath. I remember feeling the tube in my mouth and biting on it a little bit. But I drifted right back to sleep and the next thing I remember is waking up in a lot of pain in the recovery room. I was having a hard time breathing so they put the oxygen on a little higher. My mouth was so dry that I couldn't even swallow. I got some ice chips and finally started to feel like I could breath easier. I got some liquid pain meds and some more anti-nausea meds because I wasn't feeling too good. In fact I felt pretty miserable for a while. It didn't feel like it was too long and the nurse asked if I wanted my husband. Of course I did and she brought Rick and my Mom back to me in recovery.

It was so relaxing to finally have them sitting next to me. I must have looked a mess. It feels like I just kept whimpering, but maybe that was before they came back, I'm not sure exactly. I drifted in and out of sleep and Rick fed me ice chips. It was a weird role reversal. It was very reassuring though to have him kiss my head and hold my hand. I don't know if he appreciates that when he is recovering, but I sure did!

I laid in the bed and kept thinking how was I ever going to feel good enough to go home. Eventually I did start to feel a little better. The nurse unhooked me from all the monitors and the IV. I made my way to the bathroom and my Mom helped me to get dressed. I was very shaky and weak. I got into the wheelchair and made my way out to the car. My Mom followed us home so that she could help get me into the house. Which ended up being a good thing because I was really weak and Rick wouldn't have been able to help me. She went to the store to get my pain meds and picked up Rick some food. It was really helpful to have her there. Thanks Mom!!

I had a rough night. I didn't sleep very well and kept waking up in pain. I had an ice pack on my belly for most of the night to help relieve some of the discomfort. Now today I have the heating pad on my belly. I am really sore today and my shoulder is still giving me pain from the air trying to escape. My Mom is going to come over pretty soon to bring us lunch and take care of me some more. Mom's are great!!

Thank you to everyone that prayed for no complications. I hope that you will continue to pray for a quick healing, for both of us ; ).

Until next time,
Jaime

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Praying for you always...hope you have a speedy quick recovery. Thank you for making this blog and being so good about keeping us all informed about everything going on with you guys! Sending you lots of hugs....not too tight though:)
xoxoxoxox jenna