Tuesday, July 8, 2008

More questions than answers


Unfortunately we don't have the answers we were hoping to have today. After giving 7 vials of blood this morning and fasting for 18 hours we have more questions than answers. In fact we don't have any answers. We met with Dr. Lindor this morning and he did not like the test results we brought with us from home. And there is the possibility of adding another disease to the list. I am not going to tell you what that is until we know for sure which will hopefully be by friday. Rick felt terrible this afternoon while waiting for the ultrasound because he had gone so long without eating. I was able to be in the ultrasound room with him because he basically told the technician that I was coming in no matter what. We do not know the results from the ultrasound, we will know when we meet with the doctor again.
So whats next? Well Dr Lindor wants Rick to have an ERCP done here at Mayo. He had one done at the end of April at home but those are the test results the doctor isn't happy with. So he wants it repeated here. Dr Lindor doesn't usually schedule a ERCP to be done during an evaluation like this because he doesn't like to do them unless absolutely necessary because of the risks it carries. But he wants to see for himself so off to Rochester Methodist Hospital we go. That is a Mayo hospital connected to the clinic.
What is an ERCP? ERCP stands for endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography. The purpose of the ERCP is to get x-ray images of the bile ducts and to treat blockages of the bile ducts. A scope is inserted through the mouth and down into the duodenum where dye is then injected into the bile ducts and x-ray images are taken. A camera is on the end of the scope and other tools can be used to take brushings for bile duct cancer and treat narrowings of the ducts. IV sedation is used for comfort. And Rick is so super funny when coming out of that stuff. Hopefully that wasn't too much information. But I figured there would be lots of people that didn't know what an ERCP was.
So there you have it. I still don't have any answers and Rick has to go through an invasive procedure. We are asking you all to please pray that there is a cancellation so that he can have the appointment moved up. Currently the ERCP is scheduled for friday at 11:30 and our final appointment with Dr Lindor at 3:15. The problem with this is that our flight home saturday morning is very early and it makes me very nervous to have him get on a plane so soon after that test. Pancreatitis is a side effect of an ERCP and can involve an overnight stay or longer at the hospital if it develops. Since he has never had the brushings done for cancer, and that will be done this time, we don't know how his ducts will react. I would hate to have him start feeling very ill while we are in the plane. So I hope you will join me in praying for a cancellation.
Rick is sleeping right now. He is worn out from today. I will let you know how he is doing and let you know if the ERCP is moved up sooner.
I am very stressed out and worried about all of this. I am praying for the strength to make it through the rest of this experience. I miss my girls and can't wait to come home.
Until next time,
Jaime

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Jaime,
This is all so overwhelming. I'm so sorry you are experiencing this, and that you are so far away from family and friends right now. I'm sniffling reading your last two posts and wish I could give you a great big hug and promise everything will be OK. Carl and I are thinking and praying for you daily.
Love,
Dawn

Blonde Momma said...

That's not what I was hoping to read. Just keep moving forward-you will get the answers you are looking for, soon. Here is my personal e-mail if you want to talk edcali@sbcglobal.net