Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My Feelings

To read about how the day turned out check out my previous post.

While waiting for Rick to have his bloodwork done this morning I felt very overwhelmed and decided to write my feelings down. I wanted to capture how I was feeling more for myself than for anyone else but I want to post it here so that I have it later. So this is what I wrote at 8:30 this morning:

I can't believe we are here. This is so unbelievable. I feel like I am living someone else's life. I don't want to accept the reality of my husband having a life threatening illness. I want it all to just go away. I want to live the life I thought we would have. Don't get me wrong. I will do whatever I have to to keep Rick here with me. But my stomach feels like it is in my throat. My hands are shaking. How did I get here? How did my hard working husband get here? Why us? Why Rick? I know I need to trust God is looking out for us, but it is so hard. I never imagined I would be in a waiting room at the Mayo Clinic. I can't believe that we are the couple that people look at and feel sorry for. My husband is my soul mate, he can't be sick. This isn't what I had planned. This isn't what I dreamed of. I also never dreamed I would love him this much. This has created a bond between us that we never would have had. But nevertheless I still wish this wasn't happening. I certainly never thought Rick's first plane trip would be to Mayo. I thought it would be to Disney with the kids. I worry that some people just don't understand what this all means. I don't want anyone thinking we came out here for fun. Granted we had a couple nice days but today is not fun. Sitting here waiting is not fun. Worrying and thinking what next is not fun. Watching Rick struggle is not fun. I know he hides so much so he can continue to look strong. I wonder if he is as scared as I am. I wonder what he is thinking while he is waiting in the other room. I wonder if he feels like this experience is just a dream and he will wake up any minute. I feel like that. I feel like I am in someone else's life right now. I miss my kids, I miss my husband, I miss our old life. It breaks my heart to see him going through this. I just love him so much!

Reading that made me sad. I feel so helpless sometimes. I want to be strong but right now I feel so weak. I will get through this and look back and realize I was stronger than I thought I was. Rick is so strong. He doesn't show weakness. Does he have weakness? I wish I could look at this through his eyes and see what he sees. I hope he doesn't see how weak I feel. I hope he doesn't see the tears in my eyes I am trying to hide.

3 comments:

Connie said...

Dear Jaime and Rick,

I'm so sorry things didn't go well today. What a bummer! Sure wish I could be there to give you a hug and REAL support, as I know the rest of your family wishes too. The online comments help a little I'm sure, but not like a real hug and maybe a shoulder to cry on. I was sure glad to have so many of my extended family popping in to see us during our long nightmarish crisis. This week will seem really long for you, but before you know it you will be back in good ol' Spokaloo..., and embraced by your loving family and friends.

You're both constantly in our thoughts and prayers. I told Angel Amanda I could get along without her for a while so she can look over you to give you some comfort. :)

Love and hugs,
Connie

Lee said...

Hey Jamie And Rick! Thinking Of You Guys! Lee

Christine said...

Jaime & Rick,

Being technologically deficient, I'm not very good at blogging, but I wanted to welcome you home after your very challenging visit to the Mayo Clinic.

I'm sure it's comforting to be back in Spokane in the arms of your loving family, and especially with your charming daughters -- there's few things better than the hugs and kisses of kids to make you feel better and lift your spirits!

But you're both probably still reeling from all the new information you were hit with. But remember, information and knowledge is power, and having that - difficult though it might be - allows you to choose the right paths for the future and make the right decisions for care.

How sweet of Connie to share Angel Amanda with you so she could watch over you!

I send a hug from far-away California. It was great to see your family at your Mom's B-Day party!

Love, Christine